Everyone went online. The pandemic has made digital almost the only powerful tool that can reach the user. What goes next and should content be created for brands?
The pandemic will change everything. Or almost everything. This includes our relationship with digital, content, and brands. What you need to remember in order to communicate normally in the world of quarantine and post-quarantine:
1. Content is still a king. No interesting content – no reach, views, interaction, conversion. The leading content is video. So it is now, so it will be in the near future. But we see that the quarantine has opened up the possibility of finding simpler and cheaper video formats. During an important conversation in Zoom, children and cats jump into the frame, and videos from reputable brands can be filmed with a mobile phone. This does not mean that we will move away from professional beautiful filming, but we will learn to do without them wherever possible.
2. Vertical world. While we see an increase in internet traffic across desktops, the home screen is still vertical today. Whatever you do: post on a social network, video, long read, or mailing list, check how it looks on a smartphone.
3. Request – for the positive, but careful with jokes. Now the information field is oversaturated with negative news about illness and death. It won’t be better – because when the coronavirus recedes, everyone will pay more attention to economic problems. It is important to carry positive news in such a field. But it should be understood that a society electrified by stress can react badly to jokes. If it’s rude: talk more about good deeds and beauty but avoid sharp jokes, especially on sensitive topics.
4. Online vs. distance. Zoom, Skype, instant messengers – everything that we have sinned for, as killers of live communication, today makes it more or less comfortable to experience self-isolation. Actually, it is believed that finally humanity will understand why we need VR, rethink AR and come out to new communication formats – online, but as close as possible to offline. And this can be a big transition into the real world of Digital, in comparison with which our daily calls today are just “first clues”.
5. Openness request and merit check. The coronavirus acts as a catalyst that further intensifies the desire for honesty in communications. This is a time when it is especially easy to lose your reputation, because the quarantine will end, and the company that has inflated the prices of tickets for the last flights home will not be forgotten. Tough times for brands. On the one hand, you need to shrink as much financially as possible to survive the crisis. On the other hand, you should not spare money for helping others, good initiatives, and noble deeds.
Facebook and Google continue their policy of humanizing: only relevant content, minimum reach for business pages, maximum attention to groups. BERT search algorithm with its inherent AI impartial kills all clever SEO schemes and brings useful relevant content to the top. Instagram is betting on Stories. TikTok with its millions of users is on everyone’s lips, but most of the users are in India, so today and after the quarantine, you don’t have to rush there (of course, if your target audience is not teenagers). Twitch shows good numbers. The audience there is as loyal as possible, influencers are not spoiled by advertisers, and the atmosphere is quite friendly.
Why is it important to know this information firsthand? Because this way you can understand where the wind is blowing and what content the sites themselves will promote.
The general trend – semi-professional video – only intensified with the quarantine. Plus, the video entered the format of a mass form of communication, people stopped expecting advertising images on screens.
Roughly speaking, if you create some kind of material product, then you take it in one hand, the phone in the other, turn on the camera and start shooting from all sides, talking about every centimeter, production technology.
Please note that brands that made great content before the lockdown continue to conquer the Internet, and it’s easy to guess that they will remain on the wave after. Any advice is not to look for a magic pill and accept reality. If your business is not a pyramid like MMM, then in terms of content, little will change in quarantine conditions and after. But logistics, PnL, optimization, and other business things require the main attention.
1. What content needs to be created now, in quarantine?
During quarantine, the consumer is especially sensitive to content. Due to compliance with the self-isolation regime, its consumption has increased, people are watching a lot. This mainly applies to infotainment and educational content. Prompt and reliable information about the situation in the country and the world is very important. Today, people are especially interested in the position of the brand, its social activity and the actions it takes to stabilize and improve the situation.
2. What brand communication should be during quarantine?
The first thing to note right away is that it should be. Do not forget that your client is with you all the time, and you need to communicate with him. Be sincere. If there are problems – tell about them, if necessary – ask for help or tell how you help. People will remember how your brand communicated during the quarantine.
3. What content will be relevant after the quarantine period?
For a while, people will still be interested in the life of companies and the precautions that are taken within the company, as well as in how programs related to social responsibility are implemented. Useful content will not go anywhere either. But since priorities will change during quarantine, it is very important to get feedback – comments on social networks, mailings with online questionnaires. This will help brands better understand the mood of the audience and provide them with relevant, useful content.
4. Will digital change globally?
It’s hard to say yet. The volume of traffic will definitely grow. This is evidenced by the latest research conducted by Samsung Electronics in cooperation with Zhilabs, according to which it will grow even more globally. The peak will be in the fall. The number of companies that will be able to build their own ecosystems of interaction with users in digital will also increase.
5. Is it already changing?
Digital is now growing more than usual. We are seeing a sharp rise in social media, streaming and gaming platforms, and online television. Those brands that just planned to go digital or did it with small budgets are now being tested for strength and ability to work online.
6. Everyone switched to digital: what are the consequences?
With the transition of many companies to digital, it will be possible to see who is ready to compete online and who is not. Those who are more flexible, adaptable, and able to leverage their user data effectively will benefit. After all, digital has all the prerequisites to become one of the main channels of communication for companies and brands with consumers. More accurate targeting, you should think about using CRM and online platforms yet today.
About the author
Melisa Marzett is an experienced article writer who travels throughout the world and works for pay someone to write my resume. She loves moving around, seeing things, gaining experience, and sharing through her writing. She is a life enthusiast who firmly believes that the glass is always half full.